The Fellowship Lives On...

See below for details of the report.

Thanks, Andy









05 February 2010

Getting to grips with this project

It may seem beyond belief, but it's hard to conceptualise my job this year at times.  This week, I've paddled the Whitcombe and Hokitika Rivers on stunning sunny days with great people.  Is this work?  Well, I was taking extra safety measures to meet my risk management procedures, I stopped and photographed everything along with my Sony GPS to geotag everything.  The Hoki, from Serpentine, took us from 0930 till 1800!  That gave us plenty of time to enjoy the place and everyone was blown away by the gorges. 

But I still worried that my work wasn't going anywhere or achieving anything.  Then we stopped just upstream of the 'Gates of Argonath' and did a couple of recorded interviews.  It started to come together and make sense: these are early days in a year long project, and the data I'm collecting will piece together to be a detailed snapshot of West Coast kayaking and rafting, the relationship between the people and the rivers. 

If you're around and keen to paddle/meet/talk about rivers and what they mean to you, please get in touch:
westcoastwhitewater@gmail.com
Andy England on Facebook
0276856782

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment